What is Breast Clinic?
We recognize that receiving a breast cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming. We want you to know that we will be with you every step of the way.
As a first step, your surgeon might refer you to Breast Clinic at the McGlinn Cancer Center at the Reading Hospital. Your surgeon and a multidisciplinary team of specialists who will be involved in your care will meet with you in a single-day setting – one location – one appointment time.
At Breast Clinic, next steps will be set in motion and a tailored treatment plan will be determined. You will meet with some or all of the following specialists who will discuss the appropriate course of treatment for you and answer all of your questions:
- Plastic Surgeon
- Medical Oncologist
- Radiation Oncologist
- Nurse Navigator*
- Social Worker (financial & emotional resources)
You will be assigned a nurse navigator who will be with you from the time of diagnosis throughout your treatment and into survivorship. Your nurse navigator will work with you to make certain you understand your treatment options, assist with various appointments, provide education and support, and help connect you with the appropriate support services when you need them. An invaluable resource, we encourage you to take advantage of your Nurse Navigator.
The benefits of this coordinated scheduling are:
- Minimize the time between your diagnosis and treatment
- One team of specialists partnering with you to determine and coordinate your care
- Outline a personalized treatment plan from diagnosis to recovery
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Access to a full support team
Tips for the day of your breast clinic appointment
- Breast Clinic is typically held on Wednesdays in the McGlinn Cancer Center at the Reading Hospital.
- Arrival time is usually between 1-2 o’clock and can last from 2 – 5 hours.
- You will receive a call the day prior with your report time.
- Complementary valet parking is available at the 5th Avenue entrance.
- Additional self-parking for the Cancer Center is available in the 5th Avenue Garage.
- Prepare yourself for a long afternoon:
- Eat before you go
- Bring along snacks/drink
- Bring along something to help pass the time between seeing the different doctors
- It is helpful to have a second set of ears … so we encourage you to bring along a support person (people).
- Make a list of questions and bring a pad and pen to jot down notes.
- You will be in a room and the doctors will come to you, saving you scheduling and appointment challenges.
- Depending on your insurance, you may have to pay co-pays to the providers that you see.
- Call our office navigator at 610-374-7720 ext. 12 to assist with questions prior to Breast Clinic.